Rootstock is a social investment society set up as an initiative of the Radical Routes network of co-operatives. Radical Routes is a growing network of housing co-ops, co-operatively run social centres and workers' co-operatives working for social change. By making a socially responsible, ethical investment in Rootstock you will be helping to provide capital for people starting up housing and workers' co-ops and social centres in the UK.
We invite individuals and organisations to make ethical investments in Rootstock. Rootstock then invests money in Radical Routes. Radical Routes is then able to make loans to its member co-operatives. All Radical Routes co-operatives are fully mutual, not-for-profit organisations. Rootstock's ethical investment fund is responsible for helping to house hundreds of people and create bases from which people can work to change the world for the better.
Radical Routes co-operatives are active in many fields, including:
- Communal housing - co-operatively owned housing is a resource for the whole community rather than a commodity for the profit of a few.
- Sustainable land use through permaculture, land restoration, woodland creation and growing and distributing organic food.
- Resource centres for communities
- Information through publications, radical bookshops and practical support for new co-ops.
- Campaigning on issues such as ecological defence, animal rights, migrant solidarity and housing.
- International peace work
- Home education
- Electrical, plumbing and small scale building work
- Support services including Book keeping and accountancy, Computer services, Web site design and hosting, Training and consultancy, Mediation and group working.
Rootstock Ltd is a Registered Society under the Co-operatives Act 2014, set up to promote and support the development of co-operatives. Register number 28732R.
Rootstock Newsletter Winter 2016
The new Rootstock newsletter is now online.